Discussion topics for an off day…
If you were in Dave Littlefield’s shoes, which trade deadline stance would you take?
- Miracle turnaround in 2008; add big-league pieces only
- Trade the vets for youth; punt a season or two in order to start another rebuilding process around Pearce, Walker and McCutchen
- Stand pat; don’t make any moves until this off-season
If you were in Dave Littlefield’s shoes, which player would you most want to move?
- Shawn Chacon—impending free agent
- Salomon Torres—disgruntled workhorse reliever with a broken-down arm, but still maintains value
- Damaso Marte—shutdown lefty that could pull in a sizable haul
- Jack Wilson—light-hitting shortstop with an albatross contract
- Jose Castillo—futility infielder with his head in the clouds
- Snell, Bay, Gorzelanny, et al.—the stars it would take to bring in first-rate prospects
If you were in Dave Littlefield’s shoes, which player would you most want to add to your current core?
- Wily Mo Pena—power hitter that needs a change of scenery
- Michael Bourn—speedster built in the Duffy mold
- Scott Thorman—left-handed bat to provide balance in a righty-heavy order
- Andy LaRoche—live body to play third base
- Matt Kemp—live body to play center field
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia—prime-time catcher that’d cost a pretty penny
If you were in Dave Littlefield’s shoes, what are the chances that we agree with whatever you ultimately choose to do?